Our Awards and Accolades
Since opening in September 1997 Tor Cottage has won a National Award or Top Hotel Award every year.
* 2016 and 2015 - The Good Hotel Guide – Editors Choice Award for Romantic Hotels
* 2015 - Awarded VisitEngland’s new ROSE (Recognition Of Service Excellence) Award. It is an honour to receive another accolade in recognition of our efforts to care for our guests.
* 2007 – 2016 Awarded Five Stars and a Gold Award by Visit Britain – The Gold Award is awarded for exceptional quality of Accommodation and Customer Service
* 2009 – 2016 Awarded Visit Britain Breakfast Award
* 2012 – 2017 Awarded AA 5 Gold Stars – Gold Stars are awarded to the very best of Guest Accommodation
*2009 – 2017 Awarded AA Breakfast Award
* 1999 – 2017 Recognised by The Good Hotel Guide
* 2007 – 2011 Awarded AA 5 Star “Highly Commended” Guest Accommodation status for being in the top 10% of guest accommodation providers.
* 2005 – 2006 Awarded RAC’s Top Accolade – The Little Gem Award
* 2004 – Chosen by Les Routiers as the Best Bed & Breakfast in England after first winning their Regional Award
* 2004 – Chosen by the ‘Independent’ newspaper magazine as having one of the 50 Best Swimming Pools in Britain
* 2003 – Invited to meet the Queen at Buckingham Palace in recognition of seven years of outstanding contribution to Tourism
* 2003 – Awarded the ‘People Award for Outstanding Customer Service’ – England for Excellence Gold Award
* 2002 – Chosen as the ‘Guest Accommodation of the Year for England’ by the AA
* 2002 – 2006 Awarded 5 Red Diamond Award by the AA (new award)
* 2001 – Awarded the ‘Brilliant Award’ by Which? Hotels as one of their 16 Top Hotels
* 2000 – Awarded the Michelin Red Guide Listing
* 2000 – 2006 Awarded the 5 Diamond Gold Award (previously Premier Award) by the English Tourist Board
* 1999 – Awarded the 5 Diamond Premier Award (new award) by the English Tourist Board
* 1998 – Awarded the ‘England for Excellence Award’ for the Best Bed & Breakfast in England by the English Tourist Board
What has been said about us:
Read what they say about us in the ‘Good Hotel Guide‘
“This is not the normal Bed and Breakfast experience but a wonderful retreat in an incredibly unique country cottage environment. Truly unforgettable with wonderful extras” – Les Routiers Hotel and Restaurant Guide 2005
In handing Maureen the ‘people award’ for Outstanding Customer Service, judges at the Excellence in England Awards said she went ‘beyond the call of duty’ to make guests feel welcome – 2003 Excellence Awards Ceremony (English Tourism Council).
“A piece of heaven in the heart of Devon” – Gill Charlton writing in the Daily Telegraph on 26 April 2003. Click ‘ to read the full article.
“If you want a warm welcome at a reasonable price in a beautiful part of the country give Maureen Rowlatt a call” – Tony Dawe writing in The Times on 24 April 2003
“This award represents our inspector’s personal choice, somewhere they would choose to stay themselves or would enthusiastically recommend to friends and family. The award is the pinnacle of achievement for B&Bs in England” – AA Awards 2002.
“Escape from the stresses of modern living at this tranquil and exceptionally hospitable B&B” – Which? Hotels Guide 2001.
“Tor Cottage has set a standard of excellence for every other B&B to aspire to… please!” – The 1998 England for Excellence Awards (English Tourist Board).