Places to Visit
Devon is a beautiful county of contrasts, the grandeur of Dartmoor and Exmoor, the softness of streams and water falls and the lush green of unspoilt countryside.
Much of our coastline is classified as areas of outstanding beauty and managed by The National Trust.
There are majestic cliffs, sweeping bays, sheltered coves and small fishing villages.
Chillaton is ideally situated for those who wish to explore magnificent Dartmoor, the beautiful Tamar Valley and the contrasting coasts of North and South Devon and of nearby Cornwall. We are surrounded by pretty villages, National Trust properties and many beautiful gardens which are open to visitors.
Tavistock, the historic Dartmoor Stannary Town, is just 6 miles away. It is the birth place of Sir Francis Drake. Plymouth with its famous Hoe and associations with Queen Elizabeth Tudor, Drake and the Armada, is just a half hour drive further, past Buckland Abbey, Francis Drake’s country home. A one-hour drive takes you via Bodmin Moor to Charlestown – prime location areas for the BBC Series Poldark. A 35-minute scenic route takes you to Port Isaac, where the ITV Series Doc Martin was filmed amidst the spectacular North Cornwall Coast – this area also features in Poldark. A 45-minute drive takes you to the Eden Project. The Cathedral Cities of Exeter and Truro are within easy driving distance. Several golf courses are nearby and excellent fishing, sailing, surfing, canoeing, cycling and pony trekking are all easily arranged in the locality, or simply appreciate the beauty and peace of your surroundings at Tor Cottage where you are welcome to enjoy the gardens, the walks and in summer, the pool.
Some places to visit while staying at Tor Cottage:
- Tavistock – ancient Stannary Town
- Cotehele – a very beautiful National Trust Property is nearby
- Buckland Abbey – was the home Francis Drake and now houses a £30m Rembrandt that was discovered on site and is on view. This is also a National Trust Property and is nearby
- North and South Devon Coasts
- Eden Project – is world famous and only a 45 minute drive away
- Many Film and TV Drama locations are nearby, for example Port Isaac – Doc Martin, Charlestown – Poldark, historical Dramas, Dartmoor – Warhorse
- Saltram House – a National Trust property